No. 32 The evaluation of CoQ10-γ-CD Complex in vitro skin absorption experiment
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a potent antioxidant against oxidative damage to skin. But the amount of CoQ10 in tissue is reduced with age. To supply the reduction, we evaluated some formulations of CoQ10-γ-CD Complex in vitro skin absorption experiment and found that both aqueous solubility and absorption of CoQ10 in the tissue culture were significantly enhanced by the combination of CoQ10-γ-CD Complex with dipotassium glycyrrhizate (GZK2).
Effect of CoQ10 on human skin
Some skin problems were improved by the oral intake of high absorption CoQ10-γ-CD Complex.
Is it possible to complement CoQ10 to skin directly?
The solubilization study of CoQ10 was made by adding various solubilizing agents as the third ingredient to CoQ10 or CoQ10-γ-CD Complex.
Furthermore, the effect of solubilization of CoQ10 was estimated in the skin absorption experiment.
Solubilization of CoQ10 by solubilizing agents
Various solubilizing agents ware added to CoQ10 or CoQ10-γ-CD complex aqueous suspension, and then the concentration of CoQ10 in water was measured by HPLC.
Solubilization of CoQ10 by GZK2
GZK2 was added to CoQ10 or CoQ10-γ-CD complex aqueous suspension, and then the concentration of CoQ10 in water was measured by HPLC.
"LabCyte EPI-MODEL" The human three-dimensional cultured epidermis model
The human three-dimensional cultured epidermis model
"LabCyte EPI-MODEL (Japan Tissue Engineering Co., Ltd.)"
- This is multi-layered epidermis model cultured by using normal human skin cells.
- It's characterized by the morphological resemblance to human skin.
- It consisted of stratum basale, stratum spinosum, stratum granulosum and stratum corneum.
- It's in no danger of species difference, since human cells are utilized.
- Test results are reproducible because of small well-to-well and lot-to-lot variation.
Procedure of skin absorption experiment
Uptake of CoQ10 to epidermis
The uptake of CoQ10 to human three-dimensional culture epidermis "LabCyte EPI-MODEL" in various test materials was measured by HPLC.
- The solubility of CoQ10 was increased by the combination of CoQ10-γ-CD complex and GZK2, then it is confirmed that very high solubility more than 2,000 μg/mL can be reached. On the other hand, in case of not complexed CoQ10, solubility of CoQ10 was not increased in spite of GZK2 addition.
- It may be assumed that the intermolecular force between CoQ10 molecules can be reduced by the complexation with γ-CD.
- In the skin absorption experiment, the uptake of CoQ10 to epidermis was increased by the combination of CoQ10-γ-CD complex and GZK2.